And here is a photo I took today (July 11) of a decoration on the exterior wall of a vegetarian restaurant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
I checked the Duckstack today and read the latest, " Comb Tomb ." One bit is about crime: Most nonviolent crime is a crime of oppo...
-
Following up on the idea that the pecked are no longer alone in their bodies , reader Ben Pratt has brought to my attention these remarks by...
-
I post at Winking Back from the Dark , but only to make a terrible pun. Don't say you weren't warned!
-
But Men shall remember Atlantis's name Come hell or high water! Sith both of them came, It rests unforgotten, and what we now tell Skill...
-
I've been dreaming about books again . I remember the blurb on the back cover said, "One of the most horrifying books of the d...
-
At the moment, the last post in the algorithm-generated "Poplar posts" list at the bottom of this blog is " Chubby Checker, g...
-
The juxtaposition of a hermit with a hart, sometimes merged into a single "humanoid deer creature," has been a sync theme recently...
-
After work this evening, I checked America's flagship meme post and saved this one: I've never seen the 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger m...
-
Google is being weird again. Update: I published this post at 10:59 a.m. Exactly 47 minutes later, at 11:46, I photographed this logo, whic...
-
I had had a meeting scheduled for this afternoon, but the client called to ask if we could reschedule it to 7/22. Minutes later, I was readi...


2 comments:
The container that houses the owl (in the photo William took) would appear to be a flowerpot; beside the owl, you can see what might be soil, or more probably a birds' nest. The owl itself seems to be a flowerpot; peering inside its open head, one can see what look like sprouts of grass. The container is affixed to the cement wall behind by a screw; there's a crack in the wall that may have been caused by driving the screw into it. Can't help but think this echoes the recent "bone screws that get loose." Bone is the stony component of a human being, and thus can be analogized to the cement wall. Not only the wall, but the container itself , as well as the owl, are stony.
On the outside of the container is a word: "buule." I put it through google-translate on my phone--it came back Somali for "hut." Then I just googled it and got a variety of answers, but a couple were instances of "buule" as a Somali surname. That made me think that the idea of "buule as Somali" wasn't all that far off. Finally, on my laptop, I tried google-translate again--this time, it replied, Somali for "nest." I put "buule" into the gematria calculator; according to that site's transliteration, buule's Hebrew-derived number was 427. (I tried 427 in the blog's search box and got no hits.) The list of words that also had the numerical sum, in Hebrew letters, of 427 included "cherubims" (In "Phillip as a Christmas reindeer in polyvalent perspective", William references "a double-plural in the spirit of the KJV's cherubims") and "unsong."
What role does the owl play in the detail William supplies from Bosch's "Conjuror?" In the (fictional) setting of the picture--"inside" the world of the painting, so to speak--it's possible to imagine the owl serving one or another concrete purpose. We aren't, however, inside the world of the image, we have rather "the view from outside." For us, it would seem, the owl serves principally as an emblem. Owls traditionally figurate wisdom; wisdom has several senses, one of which is cunning. I suppose it thus reinforces the idea of the depicted conjuror as a scammer. Reflective of a higher wisdom than mere cunning--call it "prudence," if you will--surely the painter doesn't deplore his conjuror in the least.
Wade, please! It's "earthen dwelling."
Post a Comment