Saturday, July 11, 2026

The white caribou

I took this photo this past Wednesday (July 8) outside Caribou Cafe, which is also where I took the June 15 photo is "Humanoid deer creatures."


The white hart -- or white caribou, I suppose -- is stationed in front of a door, or portal.

The fact that it's specifically a caribou, or reindeer, led me to make some connections. Caribou is a link to Cherubim, which comes from the Akkadian karibu, as noted in "Glimmerings, and disappearing stars, at the window" (June 2024). I made a pun on reindeer and Mithrandir in "Octopods with bright and dark eyes, and Mithrandir" (May 24). Mith means "gray," so a gray randir (reindeer) -- but of course Gandalf the Grey later becomes Gandalf the White. Way back in 2018, in a comment on Bruce's post "Tychonievich's Meditations on a Tarot," I had written, "Mithrandir should clearly be the Hermit, I think."

These reindeer-related contemplations also led me back to my 2020 post "Philip as a Christmas reindeer in polyvalent perspective," which begins by mentioning that I had recently gone 50 hours without sleep.

Shortly after rereading that old post, the algorithm suggested a song I'd never heard: "Welcome Home, Son" by Radical Face. I listened to it.


The lyrics begin thus, linking to the 50 hours without sleep:

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on the sun
And the days blur into one

The song triggered a vivid mental image of running through a wood after a white hart, trusting that it would lead me "home." After I'd listened to the song, I looked at some of the comments, and this one struck me:

This song reminds me of those moments when I trust my horse and I start galloping in the field and I let go and outstretch my arms, the wind blowing on my face, cooling down my worries of falling, the sun shining on my back, warming me on the cold day. Trusting an animal with your life is the best feeling. I love him.

The reference to "trusting an animal with your life" synched with my mental image of following a hart and trusting it. The comment ends with "I love him," with him referring to a horse. The name Philip -- which my 2020 post identifies with "a Christmas reindeer" -- means "horse-lover."

Here is the album cover art from the Radical Face song:


And here's one of the "time warp images" from "Love pop, baby, love pop" (September 2024), recently reposted in "A white hart and a portal to a parallel world" (June 10):


Update: About an hour after posting this, with its "days blur into one" reference, I read this in White Crows:

The night it had happened felt like the distant past, but had occurred only a matter of days ago. How many days? Sheppard could figure it out if he looked at a calendar, but right this second, he didn’t know. Events, time, emotions, everything had melted together.

4 comments:

William Wright (WW) said...

Yesterday afternoon while driving home from work, a song came on my playlist that has sometimes come on before, but I have skipped it every time and have never listened to it. I went to skip it again, but this time I waited and thought I should listen.

The song is called "Here I Am", and the cover art featured a horse running, which held my attention. That is why I am bringing it up as I read later your tie of the imagery of the running horse to the caribou.

It is from a cartoon-movie I've never seen called "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron". Spirit, as a name, is another term for the Holy Ghost, and considering my guess that the Holy Ghost is the same Being referred to in Abraham 3 who says "Here am I", it caught my attention later as I thought of it. As did the fact that a man whose name means "the high/ exalted Adam" (Bryan Adams), sang it.

The song's chorus, in the version I listened to, goes:

"It's a new world, it's a new start
It's alive with the beating of a young heart
It's a new day, and a new land,
And it's waiting for me - here I am"

In my story, the portal, door, or whatever it is leads to a new world - one different than this one - and represents a new start (like the promised land), which links back to your seeing the caribou next to a door. And that is in the future. But interestingly the words of the song also point back. I mentioned Abraham 3 being the "Here I am" event - that was chapter was also about the decision to create a new world.

Here is a link to the song and the cover art that caught my attention. Linking to this apple music preview version, because the other versions I could find on youtube were the alternative end credits version. I actually think I listened to the end credits version first, and I searched for it again later and this version came up and had me thinking: I keep having that first line of the chorus - "It's a new world, it's a new start" - running through my head

https://music.apple.com/us/song/here-i-am/1440870497

WanderingGondola said...

I ended up ordering a copy of that Sonic Tarot deck, though don't yet know whether it'll serve as more than an interesting piece of merchandise. Briefly wondering about other gaming-themed decks last night, I ran searches for a few other favourites, aware that results would likely be fan creations only (eg with Nintendo's history, they're more apt to make hanafuda than Tarot sets). Investigating one site with a Legend of Zelda deck, I was surprised to also find a version of the Rider-Waite Magician with Gandalf on it. Geeks gotta geek, I suppose, but the link between the Magician and willpower is worth considering.
https://www.lizardwizardstudios.com/shop

William Wright (WW) said...

Since Time came up again, I will share this dream from a couple days ago.

I was sitting in a church chapel, which also seemed to be some kind of library or study hall, as I was sitting toward the back at a large table, while trying to read or study or something like that. At the front of the chapel hanging on the wall was a massive, very ornate clock. A really nice clock.

As I was sitting there, a man I took to be a relative - I believe I viewed him as my uncle - came by with a couple others behind him and told me that I needed to destroy the clock. The reason he gave was that it was "distracting".

I considered this sound advice after thinking on it, and apparently I had a shotgun at the table with me, because I pulled it out and shot the clock, completely destroying it. As I assessed the damage, I realized that the material of the clock had been comprised of moments or scenes - like built into the construction of it - and these scenes now were in something like individual pieces which I could see. Hard to explain.

As I was walking around in the room, I passed a young boy and his mother. His mother called him by the name William. He asked her if he could go play chess, and started toward what I believe was the table I had been at. His mother replied that would be fine, but that he must remember that if "either Bill or Claire" were there, he would need be on one side, and they would be on the other - as in, I believe, he would need to play against them or be on the opposite team.

I remember wanting to tell William that I don't think that needed to be the case, but can't remember if I did or not after he left his mother. I think I tried to.

WanderingGondola said...

Hm, Bill's dream is vaguely synchy. Normally I keep my bedroom door closed when I'm sleeping, but with Mum currently away, she suggested I leave it open so the cat can curl up with me. Part of my reasoning for closing it was an issue, however. During a stressful time a few years back, sleep became difficult enough that the ticking of my alarm clock became intolerable; with my door open, a nearby wall clock echoes that distracting effect. I've had to take it off the wall and put it in another room.

Popular posts