Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Then shall the lame man leap as an hart

In an email last night, I wrote:

The hart/hermit theme is still developing, but I think it likely has to do with Isaiah 35. "Then shall the lame man leap as an hart" -- cf. the hermit, who walks with a stick. The desert is a major theme of the chapter.

I hadn't had that idea until I wrote it. It just came out as I was writing the email.

Exactly 200 minutes after I sent that email, Wade left a comment on "Seven twenty-two," saying in part:

What do the 7 22 syncs mean? Tomorrow (where I am) is 7/22, could that be it? Might the scene from the movie [Pulp Fiction] actually be the principal import of the syncs? That idea, in lieu of a better, ought to be given sober consideration. Namely, it's too early--in the movie, it's too early but it doesn't take long for them to return to the door and knock--but you/we/someone will soon pass through a door that gives rise to a reflection upon providence and luck. Might it even result in a decision to "walk the earth?"

I don't think I've actually ever watched Pulp Fiction all the way through, so I didn't immediately get that "walk the earth" was a line from the movie. It was clearly a reference to something, though -- the Frozen Man? the Duke of Earl? Allen Mandelbaum? -- so I searched my blog for the phrase (in quotes) to see what would turn up.

Blogger's search function is terrible (one reason I've mostly stopped using.diacritics is that searching for Eliphas won't return any results with Éliphas), so the second result, "Pushed to Zion with songs of everlasting joy" (July 2024), didn't actually include the search string. But it did include a lengthy quotation from Isaiah 35, beginning with the very verse I had quoted in my email: "Then shall the lame man leap as an hart . . . ."

1 comment:

Wade McKenzie said...

It's a great sync--that you found the verse from Isaiah 35 again, in a search that was ostensibly unrelated--and I think the verse itself, as you make plain, is a marvelous encapsulation of what we see especially in the Tarot of the Divine's Hermit card. I've come to believe that that image depicts a hopeful moment, and is a hopeful sign. "Then shall the lame man leap as an hart" somehow ideally intimates not only the picture's visual character, but its prospective meaning too. Your knowledge of the Bible paid all of us a handsome dividend in the form of this connection; and I for one, am glad.

Popular posts