Friday, September 9, 2022

You be trippin

I don't know why this cracked me up so much, but it did.


The green man standing next to The Sleeping Bag With No Name represents the anon himself. No idea why he colored himself green, but aliens are stereotyped as "little green men."

Just before seeing the Sleeping Bag post, I had read A Shropshire Lad, A. E. Housman's 1896 book of poems. The fourth poem in the book, called "Reveille," begins, "Wake: the silver dusk returning" -- which I initially misread as "Wake: the silver disk returning," as if it were about a UFO. The poem's concluding stanza also caught my eye:

Clay lies still, but blood's a rover;
Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over
There'll be time enough to sleep.

In my previous post, "Life Is Romantic, The Travail of Passion, and the Sorrowful Mysteries," I had mentioned the rite in Leviticus 14, where a bird is killed in a clay vessel ("clay lies still") and a live bird dipped in its blood and set free ("blood's a rover").

3 comments:

cae said...

Maybe this is just me and random memory, but in case it's significant...

You have a post somewhere, I think one of your other blogs, about being in a shop or store and being 'directed' (or so it seemed) to look at a magazine cover which had a green man on it (among other things).
Carol

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

@Carol

Good link! It was a green man with a bag, just as this green man is accompanied by a “sleeping bag.” The post is about a “green journey” — which is a link both to “You be trippin” and to the Housman stanza I quote.

https://wmjassync.wordpress.com/2016/08/30/an-apocalyptic-warning-and-a-green-journey/

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

The nine-foot sleeping bag makes me think of the nine-cubit bed of King Og of Bashan, the last of the biblical giants.

Annunciation rescheduled to coincide with eclipse

I just saw this on Ann Barnhardt's blog : March 25th is the fixed date of the great Feast of the Annunciation… BUT since March 25th fall...