You have bound yourself with oaths the [...] take.
You have made the ancient covenant the [...] make.
My sense is that the first lacuna was 'sons of Adam," but that leaves two syllables unaccounted for. I've got nothing for the second lacuna, but I understood that the two lines were expressing the same thought twice, in different words, after the manner of the prophetic poetry of Isaiah. I understood that the song referred to evil "secret combinations" rather than to any godly covenant.
With these lines of song came an image of someone who had a long string of perhaps around 150 large blue-gray ceramic beads, most of them round but some in irregular shapes suggesting bits of antler or bone. He kept it on a shelf, and it represented his having taken the oaths referred to in the song. People would see it on his shelf and be afraid of him. He wanted people to think his string of beads was thousands of years old, but I knew that in fact he had had it made very recently to replace the lost original, hoping no one would notice how new it looked.
Update: I put on some music, and one of the songs that came on was "The Voice" by the Moody Blues. The line "Make a promise, take a vow" syncs with the dream in that it is a song that repeats the idea of taking an oath twice, in different words, using the two verbs make and take.
8 comments:
The dream brings out the frightful character of oath-keeping. The string of beads only represents the oaths the man had taken; it's these oaths themselves and their keeping that are the truly fearsome thing. There's an affinity here with gangsterism. What makes a gangster terrible, at bottom, is that he has made certain vows to a criminal gang, and he'll not deviate from them. Likewise, there's a respect in which every oath we take and keep makes us that much more thuggish. Oaths and vows diminish us because they preset our choice and override prudence, which dictates that a choice must be flexibly decided in the circumstance of the moment.
I don't think it's necessary or even wise to ponder the details of this dream; its wide contour is what matters. So, you have a line of song about binding oaths and in "Gardens of Pomegranates" you imply disapproval of the fact that Israel Regardie violated his oaths in regard to the Golden Dawn. In that same post, Laura Bruno is quoted; she clearly implies that those who believe a man's word is his bond are hopelessly naive. I previously made reference to all this in the first comment I wrote in response to your opening stanza of the Atlantiad.
The fellow in the dream has a string of beads, some of which resemble bits of antler or bone. Antlers, and even skeletons, have been much in the sync-stream lately. He wanted people to think the string of beads was thousands of years old; we just had a discussion about whether or not it was plausible to suppose that Athens existed 11,500 odd years ago.
William, can't help but wonder about you in this context, that maybe you yourself feel bound by, let's say, commitments you made in the past, possibly adherence to certain ideas or ideals, that no longer fit who you are today or who you want to become tomorrow; for various reasons, you feel obliged to continue to sustain those commitments, or even the mere pretence thereof. If so, I believe you ought to end the commitments, come high water or hell.
Incidentally, it would appear that this is the 22nd post of July.
Wade
William,
I LOVED the Moody Blues, especially
their songs ,Nights in White Satin,( 1967 )
and Tuesday Afternoon ( 1968 ).
'Coincidently' Tuesday Afternoon
according to wiki was released on July 19th.
Being July 19th is only 2 days away ( my mother's
birthday was today 7/17 )
and being I just commented about the number 19,
I felt there might be a bit of a sync so
I googled the lyrics of both Nights in White Satin
and Tuesday Afternoon.
.
***Nights in white satin
Never reaching the end
Letters I've written
Never meaning to send***
Beauty I'd always missed
With these eyes before
***Just what the truth is
I can't say anymore***
'Cause I love you
Yes, I love you
Oh, how I love you
***Gazing at people
Some hand in hand***
Just what I'm going through
They can't understand
***Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend
***Just what you want to be
You will be in the end***
~~~~~~~
When I read the lyrics today, which I haven't heard
Nights in White Satin nor Tuesday Afternoon,
for many many years,
I found several of the lines in the lyrics,
which I placed asterisks around, which
I believe has significance to several puzzle pieces.
Also note that Nights can also be
read as Knights as well as night being symbolic
of the Shadow/Nigredo.
Also the line:
***Gazing at people
Some hand in hand***
reminded me of the mural you
saw of the Austronesian peoples in
the museum
in your : The owl, the deer, and the time warp,
post.
I commented on that post about what I believed
to be symbolic of the Rebis.
Different but same.
I also googled Tuesday Afternoon's lyrics
and this verse in that song caught my attention:
Chasing the clouds away
Something calls to me
****The trees are drawing me near
****I've got to find out why
Those gentle voices I hear****
Explain it all with a sigh
~~~~~~
Didn't you recently write a post about a female's
whisper?
The Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin (1967)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xMOTjLIaY
Tuesday Afternoon by The Moody Blues 1968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM8JjT-97i8
I became a huge Moody Blues fan at the age of 13, bought all their albums, and listened to them almost daily throughout my teens.
William,
Good music transcends generations, no?
Scrolling down the page just now, I saw the "Popular posts" section includes several posts that weren't there yesterday. Did Blogger poke the algorithm or something? In any case, having just read Debbie talking about July 19, one of the posts made me blink as it begins by mentioning the same date.
narrowdesert.blogspot.com/2024/07/ive-been-minor-for-heart-of-gold.html
I adjusted it to show the most popular posts of the last 30 days. Before it had been of the last year.
I don't follow soccer but some associates have been sharing stuff suggesting the World Cup is rigged by the occult. The tweets below use the number 19 a lot, sometimes in conjunction with July (as today's date).
nitter.net/foundring1/status/2077539968881508844
nitter.net/reality_revolt_/status/2078499274732741011
Post a Comment