Saturday, February 25, 2023

Yellow, pterodactyl, UFO, St. Valentine’s Day

When I posted “Green Lantern’s yellow pterodactyls — and my own,” I searched my own blog to see if I had ever mentioned the yellow pterodactyls before. I had, only once, in my 2020 post “A Pterodactylus and a globe of light.” In that post, I relate my experience of “seeing” a black pterodactyl in early February, noting that I ordinarily picture those animals as yellow. I then go on to describe seeing a glowing white object in the sky shortly thereafter, “either St. Valentine’s Day or the day after.”

Today it occurred to me to search the /x/ archive on 4plebs to see if anyone else had ever had a yellow pterodactyl experience. The search string yellow pterodactyl returned only one result, from 2017, beginning, “I’ve seen a UFO, a pterodactyl, and a ghost.” The word yellow appears in the description of the UFO. He saw the pterodactyl “this year Valentine’s Day.”

Possibly relevant: In a comment to my recent post “What if Dot got in the Green Door,” I connect the story title “Bad Cat” with my sister Kat Valentine because BAD = 214 = St. Valentine’s Day.

5 comments:

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Green Lantern’s yellow pterodactyls live on Venus (goddess of love), and after defeating them he has to hurry back to Earth for a date with his love interest. This syncs with the modern connotations of “St. Valentine’s Day.”

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

A comment on one of my Green Lantern posts led me to Duncan Barford’s blog, where I read this post:

https://oeith.co.uk/2022/01/09/depressive-hedonia/

Barford discusses at length the 14th arcanum of the Tarot (ptero) as interpreted by Valentin Tomberg.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

I see tomorrow is Tomberg’s birthday.

WanderingGondola said...

That /x/ post syncs somewhat with both the Green Lantern comics you posted. First, the small one -- the anon's ghost was blue, and so were the cavemen in GL #88.

Second, in his ptero story, our anon said "The air felt REALLY hot and smelt of sulfur or brimstone". I knew sulphur is yellow, but didn't realise brimstone (with a lemniscate in its alchemical symbol!) was a historical name for the element. As for the heat, that brought me back to the boiling lake early in GL #30. On a hunch, I went looking for "boiling lake" and Wikipedia gave me an actual place, but (though it does mention sulphur multiple times) I didn't immediately read that and tried "hot lakes" instead. This article only uses sulfur once, when describing the second of three hot lakes; the first was the aforementioned Boiling Lake, and the third is located in Yellowstone National Park (part of which I've discussed with you before, and probably will again).

Ooh. In addition, the lights on anon's UFO flashed "red to blue to yellow" -- and all three colours are represented in the second photo on Wiki's sulphur page.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

@WG

Good links!

On a boiling yellow lake as a portal:
https://narrowdesert.blogspot.com/2022/03/moon-river-synchronicities.html

On stinking pterodactyls in literature (Tolkien, Charles Williams, Arthur Conan Doyle):
https://notionclubpapers.blogspot.com/2013/11/tolkiens-stinking-nazgul-pterodactyl-in.html

Annunciation rescheduled to coincide with eclipse

I just saw this on Ann Barnhardt's blog : March 25th is the fixed date of the great Feast of the Annunciation… BUT since March 25th fall...