Sunday, February 5, 2023

One quarter of George Washington's head, half of George Washington's head, . . .

In my January 16 post "The Doors," I discuss seeing seeing lemniscates and the letter D together three times -- for example in the logo of a cafe called D&D but stylized as D∞D -- and then seeing this logo which is a lemniscate in the shape of two Ds:


This past Friday, I wrote the date -- February 3, 2023 -- on the whiteboard in my classroom. During a break, one of the kids took a marker and modified it thus:


As you can see, he changed the threes to eights, the u to a, and the b to -- the D-lemniscate logo rotated 90 degrees. (The logo is from a ceiling fan remote at my school, but it's in a room that is always locked and inaccessible to students.) I asked him what it was supposed to be, and he said it was an eight.

What it really looks like, though, is a truncated dollar sign. I suppose the dollar sign, which looks like S but means D (US$ = USD), fits right in with our theme, which has included Euler's S-shaped infinity sign as well as the double-D variant.


We've already seen a US-currency lemniscate, too, in "Wigner and the infinite quarter." Note that the shape my student drew also resembles a combination of the lowercase letters q and b.


In a comment on the Wigner post, I noted that a quarter can be called "two bits," and that 00 (I had originally thought D&D was called D00D) is "two bits" in the computing sense -- a bit being a binary digit, either 0 or 1.

About the only time you hear the dated expression "two bits" these days is in football cheers: "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar! All for the Gators, stand up and holler!" (cf. the defunt sync blog g8ors.blogspot.com). In the context of American football, QB means quarterback. The band name Nickelback is supposed to be an indirect reference to "beaver," the animal featured on the tails side of a Canadian nickel. I guess quarterback means an eagle, then -- or, in Canada, a caribou.

I assume these lines from the They Might Be Giants song "Violin" are a reference to the Two Bits cheer:

One quarter of George Washington's head
Half of George Washington's head
Three quarters of George Washington's head
All of George Washington's head

George Washington's head appears on two denominations: the quarter and the dollar. Four Washington heads are equal to one Washington head: e pluribus unum.

A dollar and a quarter is $1.25. I followed up my original "Q*bert" post with one called "a five and a twelve."

Note added: I just noticed that Q*bert's asterisk is paired with the lemniscate on standard keyboards

and that the keyboard comes very, very close to spelling out the name Q*bert itself.

4 comments:

WanderingGondola said...

Looking at your 8 key, this was something like my line of thought: "What's that Y-like symbol for? Eh, it is a wacky waving inflatable tube-man. Arms are up... Cheering? Football cheers. The asterisk is like a star or a pompom. Pompoms? Cheerleaders!"

And then I remembered this ASCII emote I used to use: *\o/*

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

Yeah, my keyboard has Mandarin Phonetic Symbols. The Y is the vowel sound "ah." Years ago, I was at a karaoke place where one of the English songs available was confusingly listed as "X—XYY." It turned out to be "Witch Doctor" by David Seville; "X—XYY" was the "ooh-ee-ooh-ah-ah" refrain in MPS.

I noticed the tube-man connection, too, but not the cheerleaders! The Chinese for 8 is pronounced "ba," as in "sis boom bah."

Anonymous said...

b and q are like 6 and 9.

The digits in February 8th 2028 add to 22. 22:BB. Burning Bush.

Y like Yahweh.

ben said...

And the asterisk on the same key as the 8 and the Y might relate to this post involving hexagrams recently linked by Ben Pratt among other Magician's Table links:

https://magicianstable.blogspot.com/2022/03/temperance-hermit-and-hourglass.html

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...