Sunday, February 19, 2023

Britain as another planet

Back in 2020, I dreamed of a book with the title Britain as Another Planet. Last month I thought of this when I saw a sign that said “There’s no Planet B” and had a picture of an Earth from which Britain (Planet B?) was conspicuously absent.

The sign can also be read as “There’s planet n00b,” and I found a meme that showed Elon Musk smoking weed and thinking, “What if Mars is planet n00b?”

Today I watched the music video for Muse’s “Sing for Absolution” for the first time. In the video, a spacecraft passes through a wormhole and crash-lands on a planet that looks like Mars but turns out to be Britain.

We know it’s Britain because Big Ben is still standing over the ruins of London. The British, as everyone knows, have no concept of time as an abstract (no coyotes, either, come to think of it) and are utterly dependent on the bonging of Big Ben, which fortunately can be heard clearly throughout the island.

3 comments:

ben said...

Another BB in Big Ben.

The word 'boob' is two Bs framing a lemniscate (if the two Os are taken as a lemniscate).

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

For the benefit of any readers from planet n00b:

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/sa1g1/england_according_to_4chan/

WanderingGondola said...

A quick search of 4plebs shows "Britbong" is still regularly used to refer to the British, and "Britbongistan" for their country.

Doing the above reminded me of the Countryballs memes/comics. I guess balls are close enough to planets.

Build and strengthen

Last night I was once again creating a glossary to accompany an English reading assignment for my Taiwanese students. The article had to do ...