Friday, March 15, 2024

Merry, Pippin, Mary Poppins, secret names, golden straw, square heads, and fake colonels

A recent post by William Wright, "March 12 and 13 timelines: Shelob's Lair and a change in the wind," mentions both the Tolkien characters Merry and Pippin and the P. L. Travers character Mary Poppins, but without noting the similarity of the names. I had a vague memory of having posted something about that similarity and wrongly thought that it must have been a comment on William's blog or a post on my own blog inspired by something he had written -- I mean, when else have I had occasion to write about those characters? A search of my blog turns up no mentions of Pippin, and the only Mary Poppins reference is in passing, as an example of a movie I had seen that had Dik [sic] Van Dyke in it. It was on March 14 that I ran the search and found the Dik Van Dyke post. In the comments, Debbie mentions "an episode of the Twilight Zone released on March 14, 1963 called The Parallel."

I finally found what I was looking for, not in anything connected with William Wright, but in a heretofore unpublished sync note from 2015, a time when I was not blogging. Here is the note in question:

Reluctance to reveal one’s name before the time is right (also: M-ry P-pp-n, straw is gold)

2015 Nov 18 (Wed) – I had been reading The Two Towers but took a break for a week or so to read What the Bee Knows by P. L. Travers. Today I finished the last four or five pages of Travers (I had almost finished last night) and immediately after finishing picked up Tolkien again.

This passage is from page 301 of Travers’s 303-page book:

This idea of the secrecy of the name, the taboo against making it known, goes back to man’s very early days, to the time, perhaps, when he had no name. During the war I spent two summers with the Navaho Indians and when they gave me an Indian name they warned me that it would be bad luck both for me and for the tribe if I ever disclosed it to anyone. And I never have. For one thing, I do not want to receive or give bad luck, and for another I have a strong atavistic feeling –– one, I think, that is strongly shared by unlettered people all over the world –– that to disclose one’s name, or take another’s before the time is ripe –– well, it’s dangerous. I tremble inwardly and withdraw when my Christian name is seized before I have given it, and I have the same hesitancy about using that of another person. An Indian –– or a gypsy –– would understand this very well. It is a very ancient taboo and I relate it –– though I don’t suggest that anyone else relate it –– to the earliest times when men built altars ‘To the Unknown God.’ If I were ever to build an altar, I would put that inscription above it.

When I opened up Tolkien, my bookmark was between pages 606 and 607. The very first line:

Here it is with some context from pp. 605-606:

‘Nobody else calls us hobbits; we call ourselves that,’ said Pippin.

‘Hoom, hmm! Come now! Not so hasty! You call yourselves hobbits? But you should not go telling just anybody. You’ll be letting out your own right names if you’re not careful.’

‘We aren’t careful about that,’ said Merry. ‘As a matter of fact I’m a Brandybuck, Meriadoc Brandybuck, though most people call me just Merry.’

‘And I’m a Took, Peregrin Took, but I’m generally called Pippin, or even Pip.’

‘Hm, but you are hasty folk, I see,’ said Treebeard. ‘I am honoured by your confidence; but you should not be too free all at once. There are Ents and Ents, you know; or there are Ents and things that look like Ents but ain’t, as you might say. I’ll call you Merry and Pippin, if you please – nice names. For I am not going to tell you my name, not yet at any rate.’ A queer half-knowing, half-humorous look came with a green flicker into his eyes. ‘For one thing it would take a long while: my name is growing all the time, and I’ve lived a very long, long time; so my name is like a story. Real names tell you the story of the things they belong to in my language, in the Old Entish as you might say. It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to.

As a second, related sync, the next page of What the Bee Knows (i.e., page 302, the penultimate page) refers to the book Mary Poppins in the Park and the character Mary Poppins (who, of course, is P. L. Travers’s creation). The Tolkien passage features the phonetically similar “Merry and Pippin.”

As a third ancillary coincidence, the paragraph immediately before the one quoted at the beginning of this entry (beginning on page 300) tells the story of Rumpelstiltskin, beginning thus:

‘Rumpelstiltzkin’ was another of my favourites, for its meaning lay very close to me. Everyone knows the story of how the miller’s daughter, in order to become a queen, promises the little old man her first child if he will spin her straw into gold. Of course he does it. It is no problem. To him they are one and the same.

The very first words of page 622 of The Two Towers are “When straw is gold” –– from the song with the Ent and the Entwife.

The fact that two of the syncs feature the very first words of one of Tolkien’s pages is itself a noteworthy coincidence, I suppose.

I looked up this old sync note yesterday, March 14, 2024. It is part of a sync log file consisting of a series of such notes in reverse chronological order, like a blog. Immediately after the note quoted above (and therefore written immediately before it) was this brief one:

Square heads and hairy bodies

2015 Nov 16 (Mon) – Skype. Amber asked me about an alleged trend in Taiwan where people cut a dog’s fur so that its head will be a perfect square.

2015 Nov 17 (Tue) – Read in P. L. Travers’s What the Bee Knows: “the wild women of ancient Russia with square heads and hairy bodies”

This got my attention because I am currently reading Shadowland by Colin Wilson, in which there are several mentions of human beings who have been genetically engineered to have square heads. The first such reference is on p. 342:

Niall . . . blinked with astonishment, suspecting that his eyes were deceiving him. The man seemed to have a square head. Niall pointed to him.

"Is there something wrong with him?"

"No. That is one of the karvasid's experiments. He thought that a man with a different-shaped head could be made more intelligent, but he proved to be wrong. They are very stupid."


Recall that before finding these old sync notes, I had searched this blog for Mary Poppins and found an old post where the March 14, 1963 Twilight Zone episode "The Parallel" was mentioned. Since finding that on March 14 was a bit of a sync, I read the summary of that episode on Wikipedia. An astronaut returns to Earth and slowly realizes that he has slipped into a subtly different parallel universe. One of the first clues is that everyone addresses him as Colonel even though in the universe he knows, he never held that rank. Later that same day, March 14, I read this in Shadowland:

Typhon placed his mouth close to Niall's ear. "If you don't mind, I'll introduce you as Colonel Niall. Most of the men here have military rank."

People with square heads, and a non-colonel being addressed as a colonel. Two pretty specific and unusual themes!

2 comments:

Ra1119bee said...

William,

Part 1

Interestingly here in Ohio, (as I type this 10 pm March 14.) we are
 experiencing very severe weather with many tornados which has touched down in several areas.
Marshall has a family member who lives in Delaware County near Columbus Ohio
and there were several tornados warnings in that area.
I cancelled my dentist appointment earlier in the day and when the storms passed
Marshall and I went out to a restaurant here in town.

When I got home and read your post and you mentioned my comment (on a previous post)
about the March 14, 1963, episode of the Twilight Zone (The Parallel) I became curious
as to if there were something in the episdoe I needed
to see so I re-watched that episode again. ( full episode in link below )

This time around, I saw several interesting symbolism that I've never seen before.
For example:
Starting at marker/frame 17:00---18:22 frame(s) Major/Colonel Gaines
is looking in his bedroom mirror, which this scene is where Gaines first discovers
 the Eagle Colonel pin on his lapel.
  There is another mirror in that scene in the shape of an octagon. 
Do recall my many comments about the 8-point star and the octagon.

  I've never notice the octagon mirror before,
and I've seen that Twilight Zone episode ( The Parallel)
 about a half dozen times (maybe less) on CD.
The last time being a year or so ago.

Also interesting is starting at marker/frame 18:49-- 19:35 Major Gains asks his wife
about the discrepancy in his rank, and his wife responds that he had been a Colonel
" since last MARCH'.

Also starting at marker/frame 31:42 Major Gains begins talking about Eddie Rickenbacker
which got my attention as Eddie Rickenbacker(who was an Army Air Service CAPTAIN)
was born in Columbus Ohio, which Marshall was contacting his cousin in Columbus
at the time I was researching the information about Rickenbacker.
 
I did recall the name Rickenbacker and that there is a Rickenbacker Airport
in Columbus Ohio but I didn't recall (before the research)
exactly Who Rickenbacker was nor did I know that Rickenbacker.
owned Eastern Airlines back in the day.

 I always loved aviation and I flew for American Airlines for a short period in 1975. 
I recall on a training flight the Stews ( as we were still called in early 1975) 
who were working the flight told us about a ghost being sighted on Eastern flights. 
They heard that there were Eastern employees who believed the ghost was from flight 401
 which crashed in the Everglades in 1972.

I left American and came back home to Ohio and began working at the bank
which is where I met Marshall.
We bought our house in 1993 and our address is : 401!!
What a coincidence!!!
Recall my comments about my personal attraction to the numbers, 1 4, 5 and 11.
I was teller 4 at the bank when I first started.

Another interesting twist is that Rickenbacker's parents were German-Swiss
immigrants and as you may recall my many comments about Germany and Switzerland.
Also the unofficial motto of Switzerland is:
 
*All four (4 ) one (1) .... and one (1) four(4) all.
  And speaking of mirrors, 14 and its mirror is 41.

Ra1119bee said...

Part 2
Major Gains also makes reference to 'twins' when referring
to the Parallel universe and I think the octagon mirror
in Major Gains bedroom was a very subtle way of Serling
perhaps telling us (the viewers) who is behind and perhaps at the Helm
of our Universe, which as I've commented before I believe those entities
are the Octagon perhaps bloodline of the Nephilim.
Maybe Serling believed and/or knew, this theory as well??

Also, your mention of Colonel was interesting
and because of the Rickenbacker Captain connection I wiki'ed Colonel
and found this information:

 Copy and Paste:
"Kentucky colonel is the highest title of honor bestowed by
the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Commissions for Kentucky colonels are given by the Governor and the Secretary of State
to individuals in recognition of noteworthy accomplishments and outstanding service
to a community, state or the nation. This is the equivalent to a full colonel in the militia. 
The sitting governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky bestows the honor of a colonel's Commission, by issuance of letters patent.
 Perhaps the best-known Kentucky colonel is Harland Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken."
~~~~~~~~~

And least but not least, and par for my 'weird course'
add this bit of weirdness and more crazy syncs
 to this entire experience which was this:

 As Marshall and I were leaving the restaurant
(which is inside the Roberts Center Holiday Inn in Wilmington) 
 we were walking to the car.

 A couple of women were walking from their car to the hotel carrying their suitcases.
I just happened to(coincidently ??) look at one of the bags that one of the women was carrying.
It was a plastic see through bag and inside I could see a red and white Kentucky Fried Chicken box.!!

I don't know why I would look at those women and the bags they were carrying
as Marshall and I have been to Ralphs(the restaurant) many times
before and I never looked at any of the people walking in or out of the hotel
or restaurant. However, I do recall thinking: Why would she go to KFC when the food
at Ralphs is so good.

It's very odd, at least to me, how even what seems like trivial things
of our daily lives can occasionally fit into the big picture!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Rickenbacker
https://flycolumbus.com/passengers/rickenbacker-passengers/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_(United_States)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_401
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7z0v43

Happy birthday, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir

Today I was listening to "Mountain Sound" by Of Monsters and Men and wondered what the lead vocalist's name was. I looked her ...