Friday, March 8, 2024

You must remember, or I'll have you executed

Yesterday, William Wright posted "Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit: What did the Dormouse say?" and quoted the following exchange from Alice in Wonderland:

"Well, at any rate, the Dormouse said --" the Hatter went on, looking anxiously round to see if he would deny it too: but the Dormouse denied nothing, being fast asleep.

"After that," continued the Hatter, "I cut some more bread-and-butter --"

"But what did the Dormouse say?" one of the jury asked.

"That I can't remember," said the Hatter.

"You must remember," remarked the King, "or I'll have you executed."

The word dormouse does not actually derive from mouse but from the French dormeuse, "sleeper," a reference to the fact that it hibernates, which is presumably why the Dormouse in Alice is forever falling asleep. The King is demanding that the Hatter remember what the Sleeper said or face execution.

Yesterday I finished reading the Book of Ezekiel, and today I read the first four chapters of the next book, that of Daniel. In Chapter 2, King Nebuchadnezzar has a dream, forgets it, and then demands that his magicians both remember the dream for him and interpret it:

Then the king commanded to call the magicians, and the astrologers, and the sorcerers, and the Chaldeans, for to shew the king his dreams. So they came and stood before the king.

And the king said unto them, "I have dreamed a dream, and my spirit was troubled to know the dream."

Then spake the Chaldeans to the king in Syriack, "O king, live for ever: tell thy servants the dream, and we will shew the interpretation."

The king answered and said to the Chaldeans, "The thing is gone from me: if ye will not make known unto me the dream, with the interpretation thereof, ye shall be cut in pieces, and your houses shall be made a dunghill."

The dream, like whatever the Dormouse said, was produced by a Sleeper and has been forgotten. The King demands that someone produce this forgotten content or be executed.

No comments:

Happy birthday, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir

Today I was listening to "Mountain Sound" by Of Monsters and Men and wondered what the lead vocalist's name was. I looked her ...