Wednesday, October 6, 2021

More green-ey'd animals

In my recent post "Horsing around," I mention the Jimmy Driftwood song "Tennessee Stud":

This particular hoss was, you will recall, "the color of the sun and his eyes were green." The sun reference ties him to the Day Horse and to the horse of the Sun card, and the green eyes made me think of Othello: "the green-ey'd monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on."

Today, one of my adult student showed me this magazine article:


Here the same Othello line is referenced, and again in connection with an animal -- a dog this time rather than a horse.

The idea of a "jealous dog" reminds me of the whole dog = God thing. And since we're reading things backwards, the author of "The Green-Eyed Rover" is James Lloyd, and Lloyd is (phonemically) Doyle backwards. Gene Hackman won an Oscar for playing a character named James Doyle.

No comments:

Susan, Aslan, and dot-connecting

On April 22, William Wright posted " Shushan! ", which included a clip from the James Bond spoof movie  Johnny English Reborn  in ...