Saturday, June 15, 2024

Go to the window; it’s dark but clear

In a period of just a few days, the following things happened:

On May 30, William Wright proposed that the beings I know as Joan of Arc (Jeanne d’Arc) and Claire Delune are one and the same.

On June 1, I wrote about “Joan” saying “Look out the window” and “Come over to the window,” also bringing in the variant “Go to the window.”

On June 2 or 3, I began reading Tolkien’s Notion Club Papers.

Tonight, all of the above came together in a single paragraph. I read this in The Notion Club Papers:

He broke off and went to the window. It was dark but clear as glass in the sky, and there were many white stars.

He went to the window (as “Joan” has repeatedly requested), and it was simultaneously dark (d’Arc) and clear (Claire). How perfect is that?

3 comments:

William Wright (WW) said...

It is also interesting, and could be relevant, that it is Lowdham that goes to the window.

Wm Jas Tychonievich said...

What about Lowdham makes him interesting? At this point, Ramer is the only character I really have much of a feel for, just as Socrates is practically the only memorable character in the Platonic dialogues.

William Wright (WW) said...

Yeah, but that is going to change. I don't want to give away too much if this is your first time through, but where you are at is just getting to the beginning of Lowdham taking on a much more primary role in the tale.

As Dolbear will say of Lowdham and his story: "The cork's coming out pretty soon, I think".

The horrible hairy homeward-hurrying hogs of Hieronymus

I keep finding more in the central cover illustration of Animalia  by Graeme Base: As discussed in " GAEL ," what I noticed first ...