Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Mr. Owl ate my abacus

All the recent owl syncs -- particularly those involving Mr. Owl eating things you might not have expected Mr. Owl to eat -- reminded me of this old cartoon I watched as a kid: a version of The Three Musketeers which, correcting this inexplicable lapse on Dumas's part, fills the owl-shaped hole in the original. It took some searching, but I finally dug it up. It's in French, but its genius transcends language. The part where the owl eats an abacus (certainly something Dumas would have included if he had thought of it) begins around the 29-minute mark. Be sure to keep watching at least until 32 minutes.

1 comment:

WanderingGondola said...

I only watched for the brief time you suggested, and even that was very enjoyable. Beyond anime, I haven't seen many foreign-language cartoons, and it took me back to a simpler time where I was learning the art of animation. On another note, I had a vague flash of deja vu at one of the spinning guards.

A phone game I play, Monster Super League, bases many of its collectible characters on legends and fairy tales. Three of them are a Musketeer, Saint Jeanne (one of my favourites) and Sun Wukong (as you mentioned in "Six owls").

Rationalized whim

On March 24, I posted " Turning suns into black holes ," about syncs that had drawn my attention to The Peyote Dance , Helen Weave...