Sunday, July 17, 2022

The end of one line is “adjacent” to the beginning of the next


Maybe it’s just because I was hungry, but for a tiny fraction of a second, I misread “odd noises” as “cold noodles.”

Apparently, before I had finished processing “odd,” my eyes had already jumped to the left to read the next line, since it is obvious that it is under the penumbral influence of “cottage” that “odd” morphed into “cold.” Then, seeing the already-read word “cottage,” my eyes redirected themselves to the next line, but the shadow of “odd” was still there and injected itself into “noises” to create “noodles.”

All this happened much too fast to notice consciously. I just became aware of a ghostly “cold noodles” hanging there in the air and had to reconstruct what must have happened.

No comments:

Annunciation rescheduled to coincide with eclipse

I just saw this on Ann Barnhardt's blog : March 25th is the fixed date of the great Feast of the Annunciation… BUT since March 25th fall...