Thursday, July 21, 2022

Three in a row

I snapped this photo at 2:18 on the morning of July 21, 2022. As usual, the image quality is terrible, but it at least shows the configuration of the heavenly bodies.


That’s the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn. I suppose it’s fairly obvious which is which. If you draw a line from Saturn to Jupiter, it passes right through the Moon. Although you can’t see it in the photo, it’s a third-quarter Moon, and the terminator runs perpendicular to the Jupiter-Saturn line, with the Saturn-ward side illuminated. The whole configuration is as geometrically precise as a crop circle.

Things like this always feel meaningful, though I struggle to conceptualize how anything as mechanical and predetermined as the motion of the planets could be meaningful. It’s the old Shining Buddha Problem, still unresolved.

1 comment:

cae said...


Hi Wm, I meant to comment on this photo yesterday, got distracted, and forgot ;^)

Because, the moment I saw it, the alignment struck me as seeming "meaningful" too, though I haven't been able to figure out any particular reason why...

Anyway, today I 'stopped by' to post a link to this YouTube podcast which I thought you'd enjoy - it's a conversation on "Christian Esotericism" between Jonathan Pageau and Michael Martin
(hosted by Nate, of the "Grail Country" Youtube channel - which has a lot of great stuff, including a series of talks on Tomberg's "Meditations on the Tarot")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xefzGC8jQIg

Takes a bit for them to 'warm up', but then gets really good and is only 70 minutes total.

I'd love to know what you think, if you give it a listen.

Knowledge is baking powder, France is baking.

Last night (the night of April 17), I visited Engrish.com , a site I used to check fairly regularly but hadn't been to in, oh, years pro...