Friday, July 15, 2022

The influence of adjacent lines of text: A jar full of experiencers

Past posts on this phenomenon: "A Freudian slip," "The influence of adjacent lines of text," "The influence of adjacent lines of text: Installment 3," "My sister and the Maid on adjacent lines of text."

I've been reading Mike Clellan's The Messengers: Owls, Synchronicity, and the UFO Abductee using the Kindle app on my phone.


I at first read this as "a woman who saw a white owl while carrying a jar full of experiencers" -- the UFO world's answer to "basket of deplorables"?

I did a double take, of course, and my second impression was "full of John Mack's experiences" -- written on slips of paper or something and put in a jar? That didn't make much sense, either, and I finally read the passage correctly.

(The two misreadings and the final, correct one all took place in a tiny sliver of a second -- much, much faster than it takes to read this account of them.)

Apparently I had combined car with the ving (visually similar to ying) just below it to create the phantom word carrying; and then, since people don't carry cars, the word ending in -ar had been emended to jar. I find it interesting that car was apparently read twice, contributing to both carrying and jar. Then the second misreading was influenced by John Mack's located directly below experiences.

⁂

I've included more context than seems necessary in the image above because I want to show that immediately after this twice-misread passage was a discussion of certain numbers occurring often in connection with owl and UFO experiences. The first one mentioned is 11:11, but then Clelland goes on to say, "Other number sequences are also reported. 3:33 and 12:34 are often noted."

In my recent post "Owls, aliens, Sesame Street muppets, and the Duke of Earl," I noted an occurrence of "horseshoes in 'U' orientation" and linked this to my post "Choronzon 333," which featured this image:


⁂

I should have known that reading a book with synchronicity in the title would bring on a slew of syncs. See "Coincidences in connection with Beyond Coincidence" for an example of the same thing.

No comments:

Popular posts