Friday, July 15, 2022

In a big South Carolina wreck

I prophesy, in the name of the Lord God, that the commencement of the difficulties which will cause much bloodshed previous to the coming of the Son of Man will be in South Carolina. It may probably arise through the slave question. This a voice declared to me, while I was praying earnestly on the subject, December 25th, 1832.

-- Joseph Smith

In my recent post "Lots of owls that fit just perfectly, and I wanna know Y!" I discussed the song "South Carolina" from John Linnell's State Songs album.


This was in a post that had some syncs relating to the American Civil War. Although the song came to mind for reasons unrelated to the war, I did note the connection: "The song is called 'South Carolina,' and the lyrics repeat several times, 'In a big South Carolina wreck / I crash my bicycle.' This ties in with the Civil War link, since the war began in South Carolina."

At my school, there's a small blackboard on which the staff usually write and draw something related to an upcoming holiday. Since there are no particular holidays coming up for a while, it currently just says "Summer."

I saw this as I was leaving the school this evening, and for some reason the thought popped into my mind, "Hey, that m looks just like a Russian t!" I don't know why I would think that; I mean every lowercase m looks like a lowercase Russian t.

And then I immediately thought "Sumter!" and then -- well I'll be damned if the whole scene doesn't look like the South Carolina flag!

Palm tree on the right, moon on the left, dark background. I assume that's meant to be the sun on the blackboard, but on that black background it could just as well be the moon.

The Civil War, of course, began with the Battle of Fort Sumter in South Carolina.

As if that weren't enough of a coincidence, the blackboard art also features three stars (starfish).

No comments:

Build and strengthen

Last night I was once again creating a glossary to accompany an English reading assignment for my Taiwanese students. The article had to do ...